- Allergy season: 8 powerful Herbal Treatments for Allergy ReliefIt is that time of the year again. Time for sneezing, watery eyes, congested sinuses, itching, and headaches. Allergy season is here, and millions of people are going to turn to Claritin, Zyrtec, Benadryl and other dangerous medicines to get… The post Allergy season: 8 powerful Herbal Treatments for Allergy Relief appeared first on NaturalNews […]
- 9 Ways to Make Popcorn HealthierIs popcorn fattening? No it’s not unless you load it with calorie-rich toppings and flavorings. A cup of popcorn contains 30 calories. It contains one gram of dietary fiber per serving. Fiber makes you feel full for a longer duration… The post 9 Ways to Make Popcorn Healthier appeared first on NaturalNews Blogs.
- From Millions Against Monsanto to Billions Against BayerThe illegitimacy of the corpo-governmental power structures on Planet Earth would be hard to deny at this point even for the staunchest of maya-dwellers. As part of the resistance to ongoing dirty dealings, protests will be held April 28, 2017… The post From Millions Against Monsanto to Billions Against Bayer appeared first on NaturalNews Blogs.
- Hepatitis B Vaccines in Infants: Helpful or Harmful?The fight over the effectiveness of vaccines and their safety is a heated debate. Unfortunately, most of society views it as a black or white issue. While it’s hard to decide which vaccines actually work to protect people from the… The post Hepatitis B Vaccines in Infants: Helpful or Harmful? appeared first on NaturalNews Blogs.
- Using Ayahuasca for Anxiety And Depression TreatmentAyahuasca has been brewed and consumed by tribes in the Amazon for centuries. They use it in healing ceremonies for its spiritual properties. Lately, the psychedelic drink has attracted the attention of biometric scientists as possible treatment for depression and… The post Using Ayahuasca for Anxiety And Depression Treatment appeared first on NaturalNews Blogs.
- 3 Ways Every Mom Should Try to Better the Mental Health of KidsIt’s often noticed that kids don’t even cross adolescence but go into depression. You must be very worried as a mother, perplexed to figure out how can you care for mental health of kids so that they don’t develop any… The post 3 Ways Every Mom Should Try to Better the Mental Health of Kids […]
- How Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy can Cure Systemic Sclerosis UlcersSystemic sclerosis or SSc is a disease that causes fibrosis and vascular disorder along with autoimmune changes. This disease involves fibroblast activity that causes abnormal growth of the connective tissues. SSc gives birth to a number of skin problems including… The post How Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy can Cure Systemic Sclerosis Ulcers appeared first on NaturalNews […]
- 4 Things to Expect During Your First Sexual EncounterIs first time sex always a great moment? For many people, they would definitely laugh it off because of how naive they were. First time sex is one of the most pathetic moments for any person but as you do… The post 4 Things to Expect During Your First Sexual Encounter appeared first on NaturalNews […]
- 10 Steps on Improving Your MetabolismAre you sluggish and low on energy? Do you feel like you work and work toward your weight loss goal and never seem to make any dramatic improvement? You could be suffering from a slow metabolism (1). Even though you… The post 10 Steps on Improving Your Metabolism appeared first on NaturalNews Blogs.
- Broccoli Sprouts: Nature’s Most Powerful Cancer-Fighting FoodCruciferous vegetables such as broccoli are very rich in nutrients, including several carotenoids; vitamins E, C, and K; folate; and minerals. They also are an excellent fiber source. A high consumption of cruciferous vegetables has been linked with a decreased… The post Broccoli Sprouts: Nature’s Most Powerful Cancer-Fighting Food appeared first on NaturalNews Blogs.
What are GMOs?
A genetically modified organism (GMO) is an organism whose genetic material has been altered using genetic engineering techniques. Organisms that have been genetically modified include micro-organisms such as bacteria and yeast, insects, plants, fish, and mammals. GMOs are the source of genetically modified foods and are also widely used in scientific research and to produce goods other than food. The term GMO is very close to the technical legal term, ‘living modified organism’ defined in the Cartagena Protocol on Biosafety, which regulates international trade in living GMOs (specifically, “any living organism that possesses a novel combination of genetic material obtained through the use of modern biotechnology”).
This article focuses on what organisms have been genetically engineered, and for what purposes. The article on genetic engineering focuses on the history and methods of genetic engineering, and on applications of genetic engineering and of GMOs. Both articles cover much of the same ground but with different organizations (sorted by organism in this article; sorted by application in the other). There are separate articles on genetically modified crops, genetically modified food, regulation of the release of genetic modified organisms, and controversies. Learn more.
GET Involved Locally!
There is an Asheville/WNC group working to educate the public about GMOs and the efforts to label all foods containing genetically modified ingredients! And there’s a whole lot of info being shared HERE
The Fight to Label GMOs
With the growing evidence that GMOs are negatively impacting our food security and safety the efforts from a wide variety of citizen activist groups are growing to label all foods containing GMO ingredients. Here is a partial list of these groups, networks, and information on the actions and outcomes of GMO labeling:
Just Label It!
We have a right to know about food we eat and feed our families, but under current regulations, we don’t have that ability when it comes to genetically engineered (GE) foods. – Learn more.
Center for Food Safety
In 2011, Center for Food Safety submitted a formal legal petition to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on behalf of over 650 companies and organizations demanding that FDA require the mandatory labeling of genetically engineered (GE) foods. Since it was filed, 55 members of Congress and over 1.4 million people have submitted comments in support of the petition; yet, FDA has failed to take action to require the labeling of GE foods. Learn more.
Right To Know – GMO
Click here to explore what is happening in your state! Clicking on each state will provide you state specific information involving GMO labeling efforts.
FOOD DEMOCRACY NOW! Labeling GMOs: America’s Right to Know
For the past 20 years, Americans have been denied the right to know what’s in their food. Help make this the Change We Can Believe In: Label GMOs! Learn More…. Get Involved
Watch: The World According to Monsanto
There’s nothing they are leaving untouched: the mustard, the okra, the bringe oil, the rice, the cauliflower. Once they have established the norm: that seed can be owned as their property, royalties can be collected. We will depend on them for every seed we grow of every crop we grow. If they control seed, they control food, they know it — it’s strategic. It’s more powerful than bombs. It’s more powerful than guns. This is the best way to control the populations of the world. The story starts in the White House, where Monsanto often got its way by exerting disproportionate influence over policymakers via the “revolving door”. One example is Michael Taylor, who worked for Monsanto as an attorney before being appointed as deputy commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 1991. While at the FDA, the authority that deals with all US food approvals, Taylor made crucial decisions that led to the approval of GE foods and crops. Then he returned to Monsanto, becoming the company’s vice president for public policy.
Thanks to these intimate links between Monsanto and government agencies, the US adopted GE foods and crops without proper testing, without consumer labeling and in spite of serious questions hanging over their safety. Not coincidentally, Monsanto supplies 90 percent of the GE seeds used by the US market. Monsanto’s long arm stretched so far that, in the early nineties, the US Food and Drugs Agency even ignored warnings of their own scientists, who were cautioning that GE crops could cause negative health effects. Other tactics the company uses to stifle concerns about their products include misleading advertising, bribery and concealing scientific evidence.
Organic foods are produced using methods of organic farming. Currently, the European Union, the United States, Canada, Mexico, Japan and many other countries require producers to obtain special certification in order to market food as organic within their borders. In the context of these regulations, organic food is food produced in a way that complies with organic standards set by national governments and international organizations. Organic food production is a heavily regulated industry, distinct from private gardening.
While the “organic” standard is defined differently in different jurisdictions, in general organic farming responds to site-specific farming and crop conditions by integrating cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers are not allowed, although certain organically approved pesticides may be used under limited conditions. In general, organic foods are also not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives.[
10 Things YOU can do to SAVE the BEES!
1 Stop using insecticides
2 Plant Bee-friendly plants
3 Create natural habitat gardens
4 Find out more about bees
5 Support your local beekeepers
6 Make you own ‘Wild bee’ house
7 Become a beekeeper
8 Lobby your local MP or MEP
9 Sign petitions banning pesticides
10 Encourage your local authority to do more to help bees
GREENPEACE: Bees in Decline
Insecticides in particular pose the most direct risk to pollinators
As their name indicates, these are chemicals designed to kill insects, and they are widely applied in the environment, mostly around cropland areas.